Sunday, June 19, 2016

FLOUR PANCAKES

I very rarely have pancakes and when I do, then usually on a Sunday. There’s a few recipes on my blog already, but I still thought my newest creation was worth sharing. It’s a spin on traditional pancakes but due to the addition of banana, it requires less flour. And the flour that I am using is teff flour. For anyone unfamiliar with teff, it is an Ethiopian grain that is naturally gluten-free, which makes it a great substitute to wheat flour in baking. I’ve tried a few recipes with teff already, and I have to say so far I am impressed by its flavour and versatility. The only drawback is the price which anyone frequently purchasing gluten-free flours will be familiar with.


As I wanted this pancake recipe to be quite light, I chose to mix in mashed banana into the batter. This gives it natural sweetness and makes them slightly more fluffy. Have the pancakes with a side of fresh fruit and if you like some coconut yoghurt and maple syrup. There’s really no better way to start the day!


Ingredients:
serves 2 {8 pancakes}
  • 1 egg
  • 1 ripe banana
  • 1 tsp. melted coconut oil + approx. 2 tbsp. for greasing the pan
  • 70g teff flour
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • approx. 100ml almond milk (regular milk works as well)
  • to serve: fruit, coconut yoghurt, maple syrup
Instructions:
Mash the banana until completely smooth. Transfer to a mixing bowl and add the egg. Mix in the melted coconut oil, teff flour, baking powder and cinnamon. Using a hand mixer, mix until combined and smooth. If the mixture is too think, add milk and mix until the batter is smooth.
Heat approx. 1 tbsp. of coconut oil in a pan on medium heat. Using a spoon, form pancakes using the batter. Let cook until the edges form small bubbles, then carefully flip over and let cook for another few minutes. Repeat with the remaining batter.
Serve with fresh fruit, coconut yoghurt and maple syrup.

0 comments

Post a Comment